Monday 4 August 2014

Hippocratic Oath Revisited

This is a story that I picked up on the Jerusalem post, allegedly a medical professional in Belgium refused to treat an elderly Jewish patient because of Gaza. The situation is being formally investigated by the authorities, so I won't comment on the specifics of this one.

In general I hope everyone agrees that clearly a medical professional refusing to help someone who is Jewish (or any other group for that matter) because of their political dislike of the  actions of a state [Israel], is morally and (hopefully) legally wrong in most western countries. 'Period', as the Americans would say. We shall see what happens in this case, but  more generally, shall we not remind ourselves of what the  [modern] Hippocratic Oath say about patient welfare ? 

Oh, let's see :
"I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help".  

No comments:

Post a Comment